You can ONLY choose 5…
Let’s make this blog interactive, shall we?
Someone asked me today (before I sang songs from “Annie” to my class of juniors, but after I was bribed for a good grade with a pack of Wrigley’s Spearmint gum) if I was heading to a deserted island — or a different planet — and could only take 5 books with me (for the rest of my life), what would they be.
Let me say that this list has to be ever-evolving for me. And that this is HARD. HARD. HARD. HARD. With that said, here are my 5 books (in no particular order):
* The complete Far Side Gallery: Because you need a little laughter
* Little Women: Because I love the March sisters and this is one of my all-time favorite books
* The complete works of Shakespeare: Because he’s timeless and I love him; and there is everything in there to fit whatever mood I’m in
* The Bible: Because you need a little perspective
* Infinite Jest: Because I’d probably finish this thing if it were only one of five books I could own and I was trapped somewhere without a television
*Things that almost made the cut, but I eventually left off: Prayer for Owen Meany, The Stand, The Sparrow, Les Miserables, Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit, Brave New World, The Shiloh Legacy trilogy, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Wind-up Bird Chronicle, The Elephant Vanishes, Persuasion…my favorites!! But I did it, I narrowed it to a purposeful list.
Now…do it. Stop lurking and give me a list.